APPLICATION & HIRING PROCESS
GUEST TEACHER (Substitute)
READ the BELOW STEPS to learn the requirements for application.
We appreciate your interest in working with the Tooele County School District.
Prior to submitting an application please refer to
Job Openings to confirm there is an open posting for Substitute Teachers.
Note: Applications will only be accepted during open job postings.
Exception: Applications from currently licensed teachers or those who have finished their student teaching with a college "Letter of Completion" will be accepted at any time.
There is no guarantee of employment.
Applications and all file data become the property of Tooele County School District. Applications for candidates that do not get offered a job will be shredded for security reasons.
- Complete the online application located on Job Openings page. The application can be started and stopped as needed.
- Only applications received during a job posting will be considered.
- Upon completion of application, please save and submit. Applicant must APPLY for the desired position that is posted. Even if applicant marked other positions they are interested in, applicant must visit the Job Openings page and apply for those jobs when/if they are posted.
- Applicant will not be notified of any future openings. Therefore, visit the Job Openings page regularly.
- Please see job opening for additional requirements and job description.
- Once the job posting has closed, selected applicants will be called for an interview.
- Only U.S. citizens or aliens legally entitled to work in the United States are eligible for employment.
- Must have Diploma or Equivalent.
- Must be 21 years of age.
After Closing of Job Posting
Candidates will get an email to participate in the FREE SubEssentials Course and Assessment. These courses are required prior to being considered for an interview. Please
don't get scared away by this training and assessment. Your score does
NOT qualify you for an interview. Those selected for an interview must
complete the steps, but selection is based on a combination of ALL
documents we obtain from the applicant including application, resume,
reference letters and training.
There are many questions that prospective substitute teachers ask themselves:
- How do l know if I want to substitute teach without going into a classroom?
- If I do decide to substitute teach, will I be any good at it?
- What does the school district expect of substitute teachers?
- Is this the job for me?
STEP #1 - With these questions in mind, click the following link to complete Free 90-minute SubEssentials Introductory Course. This
course will introduce you to substitute teaching and not only help
prepare you for the classroom, but also help prepare you for the job
- Download and read the ebook
- View the SubEssentials Video
- Send the completion certificate (mail, or email)
After completing the course please email a PDF of the last page of course EBook to Dawn Alys Capito at Dcapito@tooeleschools.org
(Any additional training completed at this point is at the expense of the applicant)
STEP #2 - Upon completion of the SubEssentials, candidates are to complete the Assessment that checks understanding of materials in the SubEssentials Course. (The SubEssemtials Course is an introductory course to the more thorough SubSkills training offered upon job offer.)
- This is a timed Assessment. Please put aside 20 minutes of uninterrupted time to complete.
- This Assessment assists us in knowing what additional training you may need. The results of this Assessment alone do not determine your acceptance for an interview.
Please check your email daily. An interview will not occur unless both the SubEssentials Course and the Pre-Screening Assessment have been completed.
After Closing of Assessment Time Period
STEP #3 - Selected Qualified Candidates will be contacted via email to schedule an interview appointment.
As part of your employment process and before a Substitute can report to work or receive a pay check, the following must be done:
Complete Substitute Employee Paperwork Packet for needed forms. Bring completed paperwork to Dawn Alys Capito, Aesop Substitute Coordinator, at the district office. Please refer to the Checklist included in the packet to help track progress with requirements.
Along with the completed forms, bring:
Have fingerprints taken for a LiveScan background check.
Fingerprinting conducted Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Complete the Annual Mandatory Training on-line:
After receiving completed paperwork packet, Guest Teacher will be sent Orientation and additional training information via email.
Once the hiring process has been completed in Human Resources, Guest Teacher will be sent an email with instructions on how to access and complete the Annual TCSD Mandatory Video Training. Guest Teacher cannot access the training prior to receiving this email. Guest Teacher cannot work until the training is complete. If training is not completed within two weeks of date indicated on the email, TCSD will begin the termination process.
This training may be done on your personal computer, a school computer or at the district office on computers designated for employee training. Please contact the school front desk or the District Substitute Coordinator to schedule a time for you to complete your training on one of the district computers if needed.
During the Employment Process
The Aesop Substitute Coordinator will email the following:
Guest Teacher will be sent an email with Orientation information. Including date, times and location. Guest Teacher must attend Orientation in order to begin working. One-on-one Orientation can be scheduled but is discouraged due to limited schedule.
Welcome to Aesop
Upon completion of required training, Guest Teacher will be activated and sent a "Welcome" email which includes the login and training links for Aesop, our Sub Finder system. Guest Teacher is to watch Aesop training videos, log onto site and set up parameters for seeing and accepting Substitute assignments.
For questions, please contact:
Dawn Alys Capito
Aesop Substitute Coordinator
(435) 833-1900 ext. 1114
PLEASE NOTE: Substitute teaching assignments are subject to availability. No one is guaranteed an assignment even after the application selection process is complete.
We limit the amount of guest teachers in our substitute pool to help keep everyone working as much as possible. We will have a limited amount of openings to be filled during any job posting. Not all applicants will get an interview and/or job offer.