APPLICATION & HIRING PROCESS
READ the BELOW STEPS to learn the requirements for application.
We appreciate your interest in working with the Tooele County School District. We encourage you to visit all our guest teacher pages to learn the expectations for the position.
Refer to our Job Openings to confirm there is an open posting for guest teachers. You must click the APPLY button for your posting of interest in order for your application to be properly submitted.
Note: Applications will only be accepted during open job postings.
There is no guarantee of employment.
- Applications and all file data become the property of Tooele County School District.
- Applications can be accessed on Applitrack for one year for submission to other positions.
- All application and hiring status is sent via email. We recommend checking email regularly for follow-up information.
Is Guest Teaching the Job for You?
There are many questions that prospective guest teachers ask themselves:
NOTE: The SubEssentials certifcate will only be accepted after submitting an application.
With these things in mind, prospective applicants are encouraged to participate in a FREE Introductory Course which will help you decide if you want to continue the application process. As well, this training is required if you would like to be considered for an interview.
- How do I know if I want to substitute teach without going into the classroom?
- If I do decide to be a guest teacher, will I be any good at it?
- What does the school district expect of guest teachers?
- Is this the job for me?
HINT: Interview questions are based on this training.
To take the FREE training
please click this link: SubEssentials Introductory Course
Only U.S. citizens or aliens legally entitled to work in the United States are eligible for employment
Must have High School diploma or equivalent
Must be 21 years of age
To be considered for an interview, applicants must take the SubEssentials Introductory Course
Job Posting Schedule
Beginning in September, job postings for guest teacher positions begin on the first day of every odd numbered month until March of the current school year.
*Example: (9, 11, 1, 3 - September, November, January, March)
Each job posting will run at least seven (7) business days and close at the end of business day on a Thursday. Candidates must apply before the job posting closes or will need to wait for the next posting.
Only applications received during a job posting will be considered
- Complete the online application located on Job Openings page. The application can be started and stopped as needed.
- Applicant must APPLY for the desired position that is posted.
- Upon completion of the application, click Save and Submit.
- Applicants must finish application submission in order to be considered for a position, and the application must be submitted prior to the closing date indicated on the job posting.
- Upon submission,the applicant will get instructions for taking the SubEssentials training.
Please see our job postings for additional requirements and job description.
- After login into Applitrack account, application status is on the left.
- After clicking Save and Submit, a confirmation will state the application was submitted.
- If a confirmation is not visible, there may be a required field that was missed. Refer to Status for details. All required fields must be entered to fully complete submission.
Post Application Submission
Candidates are required to participate in the FREE SubEssentials Introductory Course. This course training is required in order to be considered for an interview. This training helps perspective guest teachers decide if they want to continue the application process. Knowledge of this training will also help prepare applicants for the job interview questions which are based on this training.
STEP #1 - Pre-interview Training: If an applicant wishes to be proactive, they can complete this training prior to submitting their application. Applicants will be sent an email after application submission as well. Click the following link to complete the Free SubEssentials Introductory Course. This course is an introduction to substitute teaching and helps prepare new hires for the classroom and their interview.
STEP #2 - SubEssentials Certificate: After completion of the course, applicants are to sign and date where indicated then email to the substitute office at Dcapito@tooeleschools.org. The training can be started right away.
- Download and read the eBook
- View the SubEssentials Video
- Send SubEssentials Certificate by email or postal mail
Submitting this certificate is required prior to the interview
- interview questions are based on this training. As well, this training helps prepare candidates for the classroom and helps qualify placement on our district Preferred Substitute
list. Being placed on this list equates to a higher visibility for assignments.
NOTE: Any additional training completed at this point is at the expense of the applicant.
STEP #3 - Interview Appointment: Candidates will be contacted via email to self-schedule a preferred interview date and time slot. Once the appointment has been scheduled, candidate will receive a confirmation email including interviewer name and location. These emails will be sent at various times. Therefore, we recommend candidates check their inbox regularly.
STEP #4 - Job Offer: After interview, chosen candidates will receive an email of job offer or rejection – contingent on passing the background check. This email may be sent immediately or not until after the all interviews are conducted. Therefore, we recommend candidates check their inbox regularly.
The Job Offer email will include information for the following pre-employment requirements:
- Substitute Employee Paperwork Packet
- A checklist is included in the packet to help track progress with requirements.
- All paperwork must be filled out and signed as indicated.
- Instructions for Paperwork Submission
- Instructions for Tooele, Grantsville and Stansbury area will be indicated in the Job Offer email.
- Paperwork will not be accepted without an appointment for Dugway and Vernon schools.
- Wendover and Ibapah guest teachers can submit paperwork to the area school.
- Fingerprint Instructions
- $30 background check fee (Cash or Check only).
- Wendover and Ibapah guest teachers can submit (2) fingerprint cards for a background check.
- LiveScan fingerprinting at the District Office is required to qualify for employment and is conducted on Monday, Tuesday & Thursday from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. for walk-ins. Appointments are available on Monday and Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Contact the front desk at (435) 833-1900 for scheduling.
- Orientation Information
- Wendover, Ibapah, Dugway and Vernon guest teachers will be emailed Orientation information.
- On-site Orientation is required for guest teachers in the Tooele, Grantsville, and Stansbury area.
- On-site Orientations may have a minimum requirement of attendees in order to be held. If an on-site Orientation is not held due to lack of attendance, candidates will be invited to attend the next Orientation - refer to Job Posting Schedule.
The Substitute Office will email the following as the pre-employment process continues:
All Tooele, Grantsville and Stansbury area guest teachers who were offered a job will be emailed instructions for taking the required STEDI.org SubSkills training course. Other school areas are not required to take this course, but must take the SubEssentials course prior to working as a guest teacher - instructions will be included in Job Offer email.
All guest teachers will be sent an email with Orientation information. All Tooele, Grantsville and Stansbury area guest teachers must attend an on-site Orientation in order to begin working.
Welcome to Aesop
Upon completion of required paperwork and training, the guest teacher will be eligible for hire and will then be processed for employment activation and sent a "Welcome" email which includes the login and training links for Aesop, our absence tracking system. The guest teacher is to watch Aesop training videos, log in to site, and set up parameters for seeing and accepting assignments.
This is a mandatory training that must be completed annually. Once the hiring process has been completed in Human Resources, the guest teacher will be sent an email with instruction
s on how to access and complete the online SafeSchools training. The guest teache
r cannot access the training prior to receiving this email. This training can be started and stopped as needed. Substitutes may begin working prior
to completing this training but must complete within two weeks of date indicated on the email or be inactivated and/or separated from employment.
- This training may be done on a personal computer, a school computer or at the district office on computers designated for employee training. Please contact the school front desk or the Substitute Office if you need to schedule a time to complete your training on one of the district computers.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional questions.
Guest teaching assignments are subject to availability.
No one is guaranteed an assignment even after the hiring and training process is complete.
We may limit the amount of guest teachers in our substitute pool to help keep everyone working as much as possible.
We may have a limited amount of openings to be filled during any job posting. Not all applicants will get an interview and/or job offer.